Update package size

Do you plan to implement something like delta-updates?
I realized the updates are around 250 MB for every minor update.

Hi @Moo,

We don't plan to implement delta updates as we are not quite sure how well they work in electron-updater. We don't want to risk another autoupdate crisis with Radzen. Feel free to disable autoupdates in Radzen and update once a month or so.

The problem with disabling updates is that it's not really possible if I work with a second radzen instance.
If I start another instance (which I do from time to time, for comparison reasons) and forget to disable the setting immediately (as the second instance does not seem to respect set settings) it will download and install at the end of my workday.

What about the update size is bothering you? I mean it downloads in the background.

It bothers me that I do not really have control over it. The disable updates switch does not work - for me - on a reliable basis. And I have workcolleagues which start the project from time to time too. Under the current circumstances (everybody's working from home because of covid) I got that question more than once: why are you updating all the time, this takes so long, I just wanted to look at ... this or that.

Having control over the updates would be a good workaround. But that's not the case.

I got that question more than once: why are you updating all the time, this takes so long, I just wanted to look at ... this or that.

The autoupdate downloads in the background and the installer does not start unless you chose to restart Radzen.

Having control over the updates would be a good workaround. But that's not the case.

I think we have already discussed this multiple times. No point to do it again.

Just assed what implementing delta updates would require (which was the original question). It would need a new update server. We currently use an open source one which doesn't support delta updates. This means we would need to create a new update server from scratch which is backwards compatible - e.g. supports all URL formats since the initial Radzen release in 2017. I have logged this as a feature request but since it requires a significant effort and imposes a big risk for breaking Radzen autoupdates (again) it isn't very high on our roadmap.

Thanks for clearing that up anyway.

I've just pushed a change that should fix the autoupdate setting issue when there is more than one Radzen instance open. Should go live next week.

1 Like

That sounds awesome, thx.