Shared appsettings.JSON

hi guys,

in my solution design i have a number of projects for background processing, webjobs, etc. these share appsettings from a shared folder. they are embedded in each project as linked files.
i.e. i only have to change appsettings once to impact multiple projects in the solution.

i have been tinkering with this in Radzen, however if i attempt to embed a linked appsettings.JSON this gets overwritten by the build (i.e. when you press play)

i can copy and paste the contents of my appsettings from the shared folder into the Radzen.server appsettings, but this is maintaining the settings in two locations.....

is there a way to direct Radzen to use an alternate shared settings? i ask this as the normal way to build a conviguration and apply the contents of appsettings.json is not as i expect in the radzen server startup.cs

the only way i can think of resolving this at the moment is to possibly have all projects refer to the radzen.server appsettings.json rather than a specific path in a shared folder.

thoughts?

actually this is interesting, when ever i run the project in Radzen, the appsettings.development.json gets overritten to the default.....

so extension to the question... why can't i keep any of my modifications ? for example i want to have events triggered on certain database record events, i.e. create a new record... send a message to a service bus.....
the details for the service bus should be in appsettings, however if the file keeps on getting overwritten, then that's a bit of a problem then....

{
  "Logging": {
    "LogLevel": {
      "Default": "Information",
      "Microsoft": "Warning",
      "Microsoft.Hosting.Lifetime": "Information"
    }
  },
  "IdentityServer": {
    "Key": {
      "Type": "Development"
    }
  }
}

just thinking out aloud, is appsettings.development.json overwirtten because the system (by default) loads appsettings.json and then overrides the various environmental settings?
so the only place appsettings need to be modified (i.e. including a service bus name and connection string) is in appsettings.json directly ??

yep looks like that's the behaviour

thanks @enchev ,

that seems to have easily solved the appsettings.overwrite., i now face a similar problem to the issue i was having when sorting out shared settings in all the project apps wiithin the solution

dotnet: crit: Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.Diagnostics[6]
      Application startup exception
      System.Exception: Could not resolve a service of type 'TmrGovernance.Data.ApplicationIdentityDbContext' for the parameter 'identityDbContext' of method 'Configure' on type 'TmrGovernance.Startup'.
       ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. (Parameter 'connectionString')
         at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Utilities.Check.NotEmpty(String value, String parameterName)
         at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.SqlServerDbContextOptionsExtensions.UseSqlServer(DbContextOptionsBuilder optionsBuilder, String connectionString, Action`1 sqlServerOptionsAction)
         at TmrGovernance.Startup.<>c__DisplayClass6_0.<ConfigureServices>b__40(DbContextOptionsBuilder options) in C:\Projects\TMRGovernance\server\Startup.cs:line 387
         at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.EntityFrameworkServiceCollectionExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass1_0`2.<AddDbContext>b__0(IServiceProvider p, DbContextOptionsBuilder b)
         at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.EntityFrameworkServiceCollectionExtensions.CreateDbContextOptions[TContext](IServiceProvider applicationServiceProvider, Action`2 optionsAction)
         at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.EntityFrameworkServiceCollectionExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass17_0`1.<AddCoreServices>b__0(IServiceProvider p)
         at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.ServiceLookup.CallSiteVisitor`2.VisitCallSiteMain(ServiceCallSite callSite, TArgument argument)
         at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.ServiceLookup.CallSiteRuntimeResolver.VisitCache(ServiceCallSite callSite, RuntimeResolverContext context, ServiceProviderEngineScope serviceProviderEngine, RuntimeResolverLock lockType)
         at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.ServiceLookup.CallSiteRuntimeResolver.VisitScopeCache(ServiceCallSite callSite, RuntimeResolverContext context)
         at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.ServiceLookup.CallSiteVisitor`2.VisitCallSite(ServiceCallSite callSite, TArgument argument)
         at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.ServiceLookup.CallSiteRuntimeResolver.VisitConstructor(ConstructorCallSite constructorCallSite, RuntimeResolverContext context)
         at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.ServiceLookup.CallSiteVisitor`2.VisitCallSiteMain(ServiceCallSite callSite, TArgument argument)
         at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.ServiceLookup.CallSiteRuntimeResolver.VisitCache(ServiceCallSite callSite, RuntimeResolverContext context, ServiceProviderEngineScope serviceProviderEngine, RuntimeResolverLock lockType)
         at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.ServiceLookup.CallSiteRuntimeResolver.VisitScopeCache(ServiceCallSite callSite, RuntimeResolverContext context)
         at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.ServiceLookup.CallSiteVisitor`2.VisitCallSite(ServiceCallSite callSite, TArgument argument)
         at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.ServiceLookup.CallSiteRuntimeResolver.Resolve(ServiceCallSite callSite, ServiceProviderEngineScope scope)
         at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.ServiceLookup.DynamicServiceProviderEngine.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<RealizeService>b__0(ServiceProviderEngineScope scope)
         at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.ServiceProvider.GetService(Type serviceType, ServiceProviderEngineScope serviceProviderEngineScope)
         at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.ServiceLookup.ServiceProviderEngineScope.GetService(Type serviceType)
         at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.ServiceProviderServiceExtensions.GetRequiredService(IServiceProvider provider, Type serviceType)
         at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.ConfigureBuilder.Invoke(Object instance, IApplicationBuilder builder)
         --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
         at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.ConfigureBuilder.Invoke(Object instance, IApplicationBuilder builder)
         at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.ConfigureBuilder.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<Build>b__0(IApplicationBuilder builder)

dotnet:          at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.GenericWebHostBuilder.<>c__DisplayClass15_0.<UseStartup>b__1(IApplicationBuilder app)
         at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Filters.MiddlewareFilterBuilderStartupFilter.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.<Configure>g__MiddlewareFilterBuilder|0(IApplicationBuilder builder)
         at Microsoft.AspNetCore.HostFilteringStartupFilter.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.<Configure>b__0(IApplicationBuilder app)
         at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Watch.BrowserRefresh.HostingStartup.<>c__DisplayClass1_0.<Configure>b__0(IApplicationBuilder app)
         at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.GenericWebHostService.StartAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)

dotnet: Unhandled exception. 
dotnet: System.Exception: Could not resolve a service of type 'TmrGovernance.Data.ApplicationIdentityDbContext' for the parameter 'identityDbContext' of method 'Configure' on type 'TmrGovernance.Startup'.
 ---> System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null. (Parameter 'connectionString')
   at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.Utilities.Check.NotEmpty(String value, String parameterName)
   at Microsoft.EntityFrameworkCore.SqlServerDbContextOptionsExtensions.UseSqlServer(DbContextOptionsBuilder optionsBuilder, String connectionString, Action`1 sqlServerOptionsAction)
   at TmrGovernance.Startup.<>c__DisplayClass6_0.<ConfigureServices>b__40(DbContextOptionsBuilder options) in C:\Projects\TMRGovernance\server\Startup.cs:line 387
   at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.EntityFrameworkServiceCollectionExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass1_0`2.<AddDbContext>b__0(IServiceProvider p, DbContextOptionsBuilder b)
   at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.EntityFrameworkServiceCollectionExtensions.CreateDbContextOptions[TContext](IServiceProvider applicationServiceProvider, Action`2 optionsAction)
   at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.EntityFrameworkServiceCollectionExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass17_0`1.<AddCoreServices>b__0(IServiceProvider p)
   at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.ServiceLookup.CallSiteRuntimeResolver.VisitConstructor(ConstructorCallSite constructorCallSite, RuntimeResolverContext context)
   at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.ServiceLookup.CallSiteRuntimeResolver.Resolve(ServiceCallSite callSite, ServiceProviderEngineScope scope)
   at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.ServiceLookup.DynamicServiceProviderEngine.<>c__DisplayClass2_0.<RealizeService>b__0(ServiceProviderEngineScope scope)
   at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.ServiceProvider.GetService(Type serviceType, ServiceProviderEngineScope serviceProviderEngineScope)
   at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.ServiceLookup.ServiceProviderEngineScope.GetService(Type serviceType)
   at Microsoft.Extensions.DependencyInjection.ServiceProviderServiceExtensions.GetRequiredService(IServiceProvider provider, Type serviceType)
   --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.ConfigureBuilder.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<Build>b__0(IApplicationBuilder builder)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.GenericWebHostBuilder.<>c__DisplayClass15_0.<UseStartup>b__1(IApplicationBuilder app)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Mvc.Filters.MiddlewareFilterBuilderStartupFilter.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.<Configure>g__MiddlewareFilterBuilder|0(IApplicationBuilder builder)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.HostFilteringStartupFilter.<>c__DisplayClass0_0.<Configure>b__0(IApplicationBuilder app)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Watch.BrowserRefresh.HostingStartup.<>c__DisplayClass1_0.<Configure>b__0(IApplicationBuilder app)
   at Microsoft.AspNetCore.Hosting.GenericWebHostService.StartAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at Microsoft.Extensions.Hosting.Internal.Host.StartAsync(CancellationToken cancellationToken)
   at Microsoft.Extensions.Hosting.HostingAbstractionsHostExtensions.RunAsync(IHost host, CancellationToken token)
   at Microsoft.Extensions.Hosting.HostingAbstractionsHostExtensions.RunAsync(IHost host, CancellationToken token)
   at Microsoft.Extensions.Hosting.HostingAbstractionsHostExtensions.Run(IHost host)
   at TmrGovernance.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\Projects\TMRGovernance\server\Program.cs:line 18

because i have linked the appsettings as an external file, the root directory needs tweaking, this is the line in startup.cs that is failing;

services.AddDbContext<TmrGovernance.Data.TmrRadzenContext>(options =>
            {
              options.UseSqlServer(Configuration.GetConnectionString("TMRRadzenConnection"));
            });

in the console apps, i build the configuration like this;

Configuration = new ConfigurationBuilder()
                .SetBasePath(Path.GetDirectoryName(Assembly.GetEntryAssembly().Location))
                .AddJsonFile($"sharedsettings.{environment}.json", true, true)
                .AddEnvironmentVariables()
                .Build();

it appears that GetDirectory doesn't work, but assembly.GetEntryAssembly().location works perfectly;

also in the project files i link the shared appsettings.json like this

<ItemGroup>
    <Content Include="..\SharedSettings\sharedsettings.development.JSON" Link="appsettings.development.JSON">
      <CopyToOutputDirectory>Always</CopyToOutputDirectory>
    </Content>
    <Content Include="..\SharedSettings\sharedsettings.JSON" Link="appsettings.JSON">
    </Content>
    <Content Include="..\SharedSettings\sharedsettings.production.JSON" Link="appsettings.production.JSON">
    </Content>
    <Content Include="..\SharedSettings\asettings.staging.JSON" Link="appsettings.staging.JSON">
    </Content>
  </ItemGroup>

so is there a tweak i can make to manually establish the Configuration rather than have it built automatically? or am i simply making life hard and am best to maintain two (at most) appsettings.json