RadzenSidebar: Null when OnInitialized

I'm trying to do something I would assume is fairly simple. I want my sidebar to initialize as 'closed' or Expanded = false; but it appears as though the component doesn't yet exist during OnInitialized or OnInitializedAsync. What's the proper approach to set initial states of objects?

<RadzenSidebar Responsive="false" @ref="mainMenu" >
        <RadzenPanelMenu @ref=menuList ShowArrow="false">
            <RadzenPanelMenuItem Text="Dashboard" Icon="dashboard"  Path="dashboard" />
            <RadzenPanelMenuItem Text="Products" Icon="inventory"  Path="products" />......
protected override void OnInitialized()
{
    base.OnInitialized();
    mainMenu.Expanded = false;  //<-- Null Here
}

void ToggleMenu()
{
    if (mainMenu.Expanded)
    {
        mainMenu.Style = "width: 50px; position: absolute";
        menuList.DisplayStyle = MenuItemDisplayStyle.Icon;
        sideBarClass = "";
        mainMenu.Expanded = false;
    }
    else
    {
        mainMenu.Style = "width: 200px; position: absolute";
        menuList.DisplayStyle = MenuItemDisplayStyle.IconAndText;
        sideBarClass = "";
        mainMenu.Expanded = true;
    }

//Console.WriteLine("Menu state: " + mainMenu.Expanded);
}
crit: Microsoft.AspNetCore.Components.WebAssembly.Rendering.WebAssemblyRenderer[100]
      Unhandled exception rendering component: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

Part of the weirdness here is that I'm also trying to leverage an 'Overlay + Icons' effect instead of pushing the page content over when expanded (as most websites do), so I adjust the style on the fly.

Ah, got it, I just moved my code into OnSetParameters...

protected override void OnParametersSet()
    {
        base.OnParametersSet();

mainMenu.Style = "width: 50px; position: absolute";
        menuList.DisplayStyle = MenuItemDisplayStyle.Icon;
        sideBarClass = "";
        mainMenu.Expanded = false;
    }

Component references are no available at this stage in the lifecycle - you should use binding for the property instead.

This is how Blazor component references works in general. It isn't specific to the Radzen Blazor components. You should use databinding instead. Set the Expanded attribute to a property or field of your own:

<RadzenSidebar Expanded="@expanded">

or

<RadzenSidebar @bind-Expanded="@expanded">