Issue with Foreign Keys Not Being Defined in Detail Grids of Master-Detail Layouts

Hello Radzen Support Team,

I am experiencing an issue with the Radzen Blazor Studio while working on a project that involves the use of master-detail grids. Specifically, the problem arises when I attempt to generate detail grids within a master-detail layout. In these scenarios, the detail grids fail to define the foreign keys, which are crucial for maintaining the relational integrity and functionality of our application.

To illustrate the issue, I have included two images:

1. Image 1: Shows a detail grid generated independently, where the foreign key is correctly defined and visible. This grid functions as expected, with the foreign key providing the necessary relational context.

2. Image 2: Displays the same grid generated as part of a master-detail layout. In this case, the grid is generated without the foreign keys being defined, leading to a loss of relational functionality and significantly impacting the usability of the detail grid.

This discrepancy between the standalone grid generation and the master-detail grid generation is puzzling and hinders the development progress of our project. The absence of defined foreign keys in the detail grids of master-detail layouts presents a critical issue, as it compromises the data integrity and relationship management within our application.

I would greatly appreciate your assistance in resolving this issue. Specifically, I am looking for guidance on:

• Why the foreign keys are not being defined in the detail grids of master-detail layouts.
  • Steps that can be taken to ensure that foreign keys are correctly included and defined in the detail grids when generated as part of a master-detail layout.
  • Any potential workarounds or updates that might address this issue in the interim.

Thank you for your attention to this matter. I look forward to your prompt response and am eager to resolve this issue so we can continue developing our application with the full capabilities of Radzen Blazor Studio.

Best regards,
Steve

Hey @Steve_Lieberman,

Not sure which exactly template you've used for your master/detail pages however as far as we know both Master/Detail DataGrid and Master/Details Hierarchy will generate lookup fields for both DataGrids and Add/Edit forms:

I would like also to kindly remind you that our dedicated support is part of Radzen Blazor Studio subscription. If you already have such feel free to provide us with more details on info@radzen.com in order to mark your forum account as paid customer.

Dear Enchev,

Firstly, I want to express my appreciation for the opportunity to trial your software. I understand the constraints around support for trial users, and I apologize for any inconvenience my request may cause. However, I'm encountering difficulties with the Master/Detail DataGrid feature, which is crucial for evaluating the software's fit for our needs.

I'm currently working with the .NET 8 server version and trying to implement the Master/Detail DataGrid as per the templates and instructions provided. However, the behavior I'm observing does not align with the examples or the expected functionality, particularly around the generation and functionality of lookup fields for both the DataGrids and Add/Edit forms.

I recognize the importance of dedicated support and am seriously considering the Radzen Blazor Studio subscription. However, to make an informed decision, it's essential for me to fully understand and test the capabilities of your software, especially the Master/Detail DataGrid feature. Given this context, I was hoping you might make an exception or provide some guidance to help me resolve this issue.

I tried step by step what you did with the order and order details from NW and had the same result. Also, my Crud page is a bit different than yours is does not allow for a blank page. Maybe it is the difference between the trial version and paid version?

Could you please advise on any common pitfalls or additional configuration steps that might not be evident from the documentation? Any insights or resources you could share would be immensely helpful in overcoming this hurdle and moving forward with our evaluation.

Thank you for your understanding and support. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards

In Radzen Blazor Studio there are two ways to create CRUD pages:

1. During database scaffold
  2. Using new page wizard from already scaffolded database code (showed in my previous post)

Both wizards will lead to same result, here is Master/Detail DataGrid from database scaffold:
md-db-scaffold

As you can see the foreign keys are represented by lookup fields in the DataGrid. Here is also how Add/Edit pages looks:

If you believe that you have foreign keys that our wizards will not represent as lookup columns/fields feel free to send us your database schema where we can replicate this. Once we have something that we can check and debug we will be able to provide details.

Hello,

Firstly, thank you for researching the issue I encountered with Master-Detail creation during Data Scaffolding in Radzen Blazor Studio. Your detailed observation is greatly appreciated.

We've identified the bug you mentioned. It occurs when attempting to create Master-Detail pages during the initial database scaffolding process. However, we found that adding a page afterward, using the new page wizard from the already scaffolded database code, works without any issues.

This same problem is present when working with the Northwinds database, so you can replicate the issue there as well. This information should help in understanding the context of the bug.

Thank you once again for your attention to this matter and for your support. I look forward to hearing about the progress on fixing this issue.

Steve

I'm afraid that I cannot replicate such issue using Northwind database. For example Orders/OrderDetails:
md-northwind