DataGrid and Chart with the same source, with custom filtering

Hello everyone,

Currently I am trying to implement a datagrid and a chart, but both must share the same source.
In the code I have attached we have a collection of WeatherForecasts.
I want to make it in such a way that when a user customly sorts or filters the datagrid, the WeatherForecasts collection gets sorted and the chart updates with the data.
For example, if a user sorts the data in the grid ,descending, by the temperatureC property, I want the chart to change its appearance accordingly.

<RadzenDataGrid @ref="grid" AllowFiltering="true" AllowColumnResize="true" AllowAlternatingRows="false" AllowSorting="true" PageSize="30" AllowPaging="true"
                FilterMode="FilterMode.Advanced" FilterCaseSensitivity="FilterCaseSensitivity.CaseInsensitive" PagerHorizontalAlign="HorizontalAlign.Left"
                ShowPagingSummary="true" Data="@forecasts" Sort="@OnSort" TItem="WeatherForecast" ColumnWidth="90px">
        <Columns>
            <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="WeatherForecast" Property="Date" Filterable="true" Title="Date" Frozen="true" Width="80px" TextAlign="TextAlign.Center" />
            <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="WeatherForecast" Property="TemperatureC" Filterable="true" Title="TemperatureC" Frozen="true" Width="80px" TextAlign="TextAlign.Center" />
            <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="WeatherForecast" Property="TemperatureF" Filterable="true" Title="TemperatureF" Frozen="true" Width="80px" TextAlign="TextAlign.Center" />
            <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="WeatherForecast" Property="Summary" Filterable="true" Title="Summary" Frozen="true" Width="80px" TextAlign="TextAlign.Center" />
            <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="WeatherForecast" Property="TemperatureC" Width="80px" Title="" TextAlign="TextAlign.Center" Filterable="false">
                <Template Context="data">
                    @{
                        <RadzenButton ButtonStyle="ButtonStyle.Secondary" Variant="Variant.Flat"
                              Click=@(() => SomeFunction()) Text="Details" />
                    }
                </Template>
            </RadzenDataGridColumn>

</Columns>
    </RadzenDataGrid>
    <br />
    <RadzenChart>
        <RadzenLineSeries Smooth="false" Data="@forecasts" CategoryProperty="TemperatureC" Title="TemperatureC" LineType="LineType.Solid" ValueProperty="TemperatureC">
            <RadzenMarkers MarkerType="MarkerType.None" />
            <RadzenSeriesDataLabels Visible="false" />
        </RadzenLineSeries>

</RadzenChart>

@code {
    private IEnumerable<WeatherForecast>? forecasts;
    private RadzenDataGrid<WeatherForecast>? grid;
    protected override async Task OnInitializedAsync()
    {
        forecasts = await ForecastService.GetForecastAsync(DateTime.Now);
        StateHasChanged();
    }
    async Task OnSort(DataGridColumnSortEventArgs<WeatherForecast> args)
    {
        await Task.Yield();
        PropertyInfo property = forecasts.First().GetType().GetProperty(args.Column.Property);
        if (property != null)
        {
            var column = grid.ColumnsCollection.FirstOrDefault(c => c.Property == args.Column.Property);

if (args.SortOrder == SortOrder.Ascending)
            {
                forecasts = forecasts.OrderBy(item => property.GetValue(item));
            }
            else
            {
                forecasts = forecasts.OrderByDescending(item => property.GetValue(item));
            }

column.SortOrder = args.SortOrder;
            await grid.Reload();
        }
    }
    async Task SomeFunction()
    {

}
}

Currently I have been trying to implement custom sorting on the source object, but I can only sort it once and it does not seem to be updated in the chart. After I click on sorting by one column, I can not sort it other way and it remains stuck.

Also, is it possible that whenever I click the button in the grid , to trigger a hover event on the corresponding data point in the chart? (That is why I've included the somefunction method there).

Can somebody shine a light on my situation?

Thank you.

In this case you should bind the Chart to DataGrid View property.

Thank you for your response.

<RadzenDataGrid @ref="grid" AllowFiltering="true" AllowColumnResize="true" AllowAlternatingRows="false" AllowSorting="true" PageSize="30" AllowPaging="true"
                     FilterMode="FilterMode.Advanced" FilterCaseSensitivity="FilterCaseSensitivity.CaseInsensitive" PagerHorizontalAlign="HorizontalAlign.Left"
                     ShowPagingSummary="true" Data="@forecasts" Sort="@OnSort" TItem="WeatherForecast" ColumnWidth="90px">
        <Columns>
            <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="WeatherForecast" Property="Date" Filterable="true" Title="Date" Frozen="true" Width="80px" TextAlign="TextAlign.Center" />
            <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="WeatherForecast" Property="TemperatureC" Filterable="true" Title="TemperatureC" Frozen="true" Width="80px" TextAlign="TextAlign.Center" />
            <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="WeatherForecast" Property="TemperatureF" Filterable="true" Title="TemperatureF" Frozen="true" Width="80px" TextAlign="TextAlign.Center" />
            <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="WeatherForecast" Property="Summary" Filterable="true" Title="Summary" Frozen="true" Width="80px" TextAlign="TextAlign.Center" />
            <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="WeatherForecast" Property="TemperatureC" Width="80px" Title="" TextAlign="TextAlign.Center" Filterable="false">
                    @{
                        <RadzenButton ButtonStyle="ButtonStyle.Secondary" Variant="Variant.Flat"
                              Click=@(() => SomeFunction()) Text="Details" />
                    }
                </Template>
            </RadzenDataGridColumn>

</Columns>
    </RadzenDataGrid>
    <br />
    <RadzenChart>
        <RadzenLineSeries Smooth="false" Data="@grid.View" CategoryProperty="TemperatureC" Title="TemperatureC" LineType="LineType.Solid" ValueProperty="TemperatureC">
            <RadzenMarkers MarkerType="MarkerType.None" />
            <RadzenSeriesDataLabels Visible="false" />
        </RadzenLineSeries>

</RadzenChart>

I have done this modifications and the chart does not get updated whenever I put filters in datagrid.
Can you please tell me what did I do wrong?

Can anybody explain please?

Try to call Chart Reload() method on DataGrid Filter event.

This does not work.
Do you have any idea regarding the sort issue? Thank you really much for your response, but it is not useful at all.

We offer dedicated customer support as part of the Radzen Blazor Studio subscription. You may consider this option if you need us to check your application.

Thank you for your prompt response, and please excuse my approach if it was inappropriate.
I do not need you to check my application, I am kindly asking for a little bit of guidance.

This is your last comment. What does not work?

What sort issue?

Calling chart.Reload() on filter event. This does not reset the view of the chart. Also setting the data source for the chart as grid.View() does not get updated.

I can only click on the column to sort it once. Then it remains "stuck" like that, and it does not matter how many times I click it.

The chart will update only if the Data series parameter has changed. Check your implementation if this is the case.

Thank you very much for your response.
I have filtered the data, and no update.
Regarding sorting, what should I do?

No idea what this means.

Same as filtering. But have in mind that RadzenChart sorts its data by category in some cases.

That means I have applied a filter on the forecasts collection, from the UI.
For example, I put a filter of "Less than" and a value.
The chart should have updated, and it did not.

I give up :slight_smile: Maybe someone else from the community understands what you have tried and can help you.

For what is worth here is a working example based on our online demo:

<RadzenDataGrid @ref="grid" Sort="@OnDataChange" Filter="@OnDataChange" FilterCleared="@OnDataChange" AllowFiltering="true" AllowColumnResize="true" AllowAlternatingRows="false" FilterMode="FilterMode.Advanced" AllowSorting="true" PageSize="5" AllowPaging="true" PagerHorizontalAlign="HorizontalAlign.Left" ShowPagingSummary="true"
    Data="@employees" TItem="Employee" ColumnWidth="300px" LogicalFilterOperator="LogicalFilterOperator.Or">
    <Columns>
        <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="Employee" Property="EmployeeID" Filterable="false" Title="ID" Frozen="true" Width="80px" TextAlign="TextAlign.Center" />
        <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="Employee" Title="Photo" Frozen="true" Sortable="false" Filterable="false" Width="80px" TextAlign="TextAlign.Center" >
                <RadzenImage Path="@data.Photo" class="rz-gravatar" />
            </Template>
        </RadzenDataGridColumn>
        <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="Employee" Property="FirstName" Title="First Name" Frozen="true" Width="160px" />
        <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="Employee" Property="LastName" Title="Last Name" Width="160px"/>
        <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="Employee" Property="Title" Title="Job Title" Width="200px" />
        <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="Employee" Property="TitleOfCourtesy" Title="Title" Width="120px" />
        <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="Employee" Property="BirthDate" Title="Birth Date" FormatString="{0:d}" Width="160px" />
        <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="Employee" Property="HireDate" Title="Hire Date" FormatString="{0:d}" Width="160px" />
        <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="Employee" Property="Address" Title="Address" Width="200px" />
        <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="Employee" Property="City" Title="City" Width="160px" />
        <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="Employee" Property="Region" Title="Region" Width="160px" />
        <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="Employee" Property="PostalCode" Title="Postal Code" Width="160px" />
        <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="Employee" Property="Country" Title="Country" Width="160px" />
        <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="Employee" Property="HomePhone" Title="Home Phone" Width="160px" />
        <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="Employee" Property="Extension" Title="Extension" Width="160px" />
        <RadzenDataGridColumn TItem="Employee" Property="Notes" Title="Notes" Width="300px" />
    </Columns>
</RadzenDataGrid>
<RadzenChart>
   <RadzenColumnSeries Data="@chartData" CategoryProperty="FirstName" ValueProperty="EmployeeID" />
</RadzenChart>
@code {
    IEnumerable<Employee> employees;
    IEnumerable<Employee> chartData;
    RadzenDataGrid<Employee> grid;

void OnDataChange()
    {
       chartData = grid.View;
    }

protected override async Task OnInitializedAsync()
    {
        await base.OnInitializedAsync();

employees = dbContext.Employees;
        chartData = employees;
    }
}

grid-chart

1 Like

This is exactly what I was looking for.
Thank you very much!