Dropdown performance poor with large lists

I’m only a couple of days into using Radzen on trial, coming from Lightswitch and it looks promising but I encountered my first issue.

Performance generally is a little slow but in particular, the dropdown control is very slow when it’s populated from large lists. I have a page setup for adding brands to our database, each brand is associated with an “umbrella brand”, for instance “Cherry Coke” would have an umbrella brand of “Coca-Cola”. The list of umbrella brands is currently just over 15,000 records.

When I click the dropdown, it takes about 12 seconds before I see the list. I made the list filterable and if I start typing, the keyboard input takes about 6 seconds for the first character to appear and then about 2 seconds for the second to appear and then each keypress responds more quickly (I assume as the list is getting smaller).

In Lightswitch, performance doing this exact same task would be very good.If I clicked the dropdown, the list would appear within half a second and the same with filtering the list first. It also waits until I have types 3 characters before the search kicks in but I can type directly in the field to start the search, there is no need to drop the list down first.

The page is connected to a SQL Server 2016 back-end. The app is running on the same local network as the SQL Server.

Are there any plans to improve the performance? I know the users would not be happy with it as it stands.

If you need anymore information, (server logs etc) please ask.

Update: I was testing using Edge. Testing in Chrome is about 30% faster than Edge.

Hi Alan,

We are aware of this issue (PrimeNG have this logged) however most probably we will need a bit more complex component to handle extreme scenarios with thousands or even hundreds thousands records. Both scrolling and filtering should be applied server-side to avoid large data on the client. At the moment this can be achieved using a DataGrid with server-side operations enabled (bound to OData, MSSQL, MySQL or PostgreSQL) in a popup combined with the approach used in this article or with the DataGrid built-in filtering.

Best Regards,
Vladimir

Hi Alan,

Lookup popup picker will be added in the next release (end of this week or early next week). It will be able to handle large lookup data.

Best Regards,
Vladimir